I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for lighthouses. I have a large, personal collection of lighthouse replicas in my nautically-themed home. I’ve had the opportunity to visit a great number of lighthouses all over the U.S. and Canada, and my home state of Michigan is the proud home of 247 beautiful structures.
I have several coffee table books providing beautiful photos and interesting data about these unique creations which offer an isolated and mysterious lure to so many. I have a number of large paintings and photographs of lighthouses standing proud as they protect. I’ve even had the unusual pleasure of spending a weekend in a lighthouse.
It’s been my experience that a lighthouse can provide a soothing calm which allows us to focus on some of the oft-forgotten, time-tested truths which surround us in today’s chaotic world. These truths differ from person to person but certainly assist us as we attempt to navigate our lives.
If we observe them, we tend to enjoy secure passage. Ignore them and we face the danger of crashing against the ragged rocks of reality.
The wise captain shifts the direction of his craft according to the signal of the lighthouse. A wise person does the same.
Here are just a few of the numerous lights I look for and the signals I heed. Obviously, you may not agree but I certainly urge you to seek out and acknowledge your own.
- Once a week, let a child take you on a walk.
- When no one is watching, live as if someone is.
- Don’t spend tomorrow’s money today.
- Pray twice as much as you fret.
- Listen twice as much as you speak.
- Never outgrow your love of sunsets, moonlit evenings, lakes, rivers, and oceans.
- Seek out your Acres of Diamonds where you might least expect to find them … in your own backyard!
- Treat people like angels; you will meet some and help make some.
- ‘Tis wiser to err on the side of generosity than on the side of scrutiny.
- The book of life is lived in chapters, so know your page number.
- Never let the important be the victim of the trivial.
- Mentor at every opportunity.
To sum it all up:
Approach life like a voyage on a schooner. Enjoy the view. Explore the vessel. Make friends with the Captain. Fish a little. And only get off the boat when you are safely home!
About Harry K. Jones
Harry K. Jones is a motivational speaker and consultant for AchieveMax®, Inc., a company of professional speakers who provide custom-designed seminars, keynote presentations, and consulting services. Harry's top requested topics include change management, customer service, creativity, employee retention, goal setting, leadership, stress management, teamwork, and time management. For more information on Harry's presentations, please call 800-886-2629 or fill out our contact form.
These are very good, Harry. Where did you learn to write so well?